Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Boy Scouts of America Demo

April 30, 2011


On April 30, 2011, a few of the CBFARC (W8CBF) members (including myself) helped out with some radio communication demonstrations for the Boy Scouts of America on Horns Hill in Newark, Ohio.  My two elmers, K8PWL and KD8UT, along with a good friend, Jed, K8QY, headed up the HF/Morse Code demos, and I did some satellite demos.  I had a lot of interference on my uplink signal, which I thought was caused by inteference from the 3 large communication towers on the Hill.  It turned out that is was caused by the fact that I had the volume on the radio turned all the way up (so the audience could hear).  The sound resembled a prop plane flying over my head every time I would transmit.


Other than the bit of interference and obvious lack of satellite QSOs, the demos went well.  About 150 Scouts filtered through during the day, and a few of them expressed serious interest in getting their Amateur Radio licenses.  Many even expressed interest in Morse Code - more than phone! 


Below are a few pictures we took during the day, and there is also a YouTube video produced by Zack Rodichok, KD8NUP.


  
Our setup in one of the shelters.








KD8UT (left) & K8PWL (right)

No comments:

Post a Comment